Yet another beginning

The decision to take a long walk "From the Bottom to the Top" of the UK mainland has been made. This blog is part of the project to record the preparations &, once I set off in March or April 2018, the walk itself. I hope friends will be able to join me for sections. If this is you, please give me some warning, if only to manage my face-shaving schedule.

I have told so many people, it will be an embarrassment not to go, so now it's planning time. A friend, who always plans his walks in some detail,  told me not to bother. "Use the map on your phone & just go", has some appeal. I did just over half the Cotswold Way &, later, a wander around the Isle of Wight like that (pre-smartphone era). Both were over a Christmas break & I enjoyed the looks of surprise on B&B hosts when turning up unannounced. Some route decisions must be made, as stated elsewhere. Having just read  "Hell of a Journey: On Foot Through the Scottish Highlands in Winter by Mike Cawthorne", the concept of food caches might just solve a couple of concerns North of Fort William.

Comments

  1. Good luck Jean. I can't imagine who told you to plan it as you go along, but wouldn't that give more flexibility and add to the excitement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hmm, it certainly would. In contrast: today I discovered that just South of Zennor is Zennor Quoit, on an Open Access area giving a non-footpath link to a potential good view & a good half day's alternative to the SWCP.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One month to go